What goes into the Perfect Vegan Protein Blend?
- A blend of plant sourced, high protein superfoods, which ensure that it offers “complete protein” (i.e all 9 Essential Amino Acids).
- High protein plant-based raw materials we commonly use include: Rice Protein Powder (~80% protein), Pea Protein Powder (~80% protein) , Hemp Protein Powder (Aust Grown, ~80% protein), Sacha Inchi Protein Powder (~65% protein) , Pumpkin Seed Meal (~50% protein) , Sunflower Seed Meal (~50% protein), Spirulina Powder (~75% protein).
- Is low carbohydrate, will low GI (slow release) energy.
- Ensure that the blend delivers at least 10gm of protein per serving. If more protein per serving is required the recipe can be altered, and or increase the serving size.
- As Protein Blends are often consumed in the morning or as meal replacements, ensure that the blend includes superfoods that promote vigor and are high in iron and magnesium.
- Vegan protein powders often appeal in part for being relatively easy to digest. Including sprouted protein powders (which are in effect pre-digested), add further to the “digestibility” selling factor.
- Including Digestive Enzymes in Protein Powders are very much on trend.
- Superfoods that offer a full, creamy taste and texture.
- Berry Superfoods are renowned particularly for their Antioxidant content, whilst also adding flavor.
The following recipe is simply a guide to help those of you interested in creating your own Vegan Protein Blend.
20-25% Organic Sprouted Brown Rice Protein – has several advantages over other powdered protein products. Firstly it is less chalky in texture than others, so blends smoothly into drinks. Secondly, organic brown rice protein powder is hypo-allergenic and completely dairy free, so is more easily digestible. Thirdly organic whole grain brown rice includes the bran and the endosperm layers, not only retaining the fibers but also much of the amino acid profile. Lastly, when the rice is bio-fermented with natural enzymes , it greatly increases the bio-availablity of the protein is it makes digestion and absorption so much easier.
20-25% Organic Sprouted Pea Protein Powder – is a complete protein, containing all 9 Essential Amino Acids. Pea protein is especially high in lysine and arginine, which are particularly beneficial for those leading active lifestyles. Like Rice Protein powder, it is hypoallergenic and bio-fermented / sprouted which makes it particularly good for people with compromised digestion. Pea protein in a very good source of dietary iron.
10-15% Sacha Inchi Protein Powder – is sourced from star-shaped seeds native to the Amazon. It is about 60% by dry weight, pure, complete protein and has a nutty taste. Like Pea Protein powder, compared to Rice Protein powder it is not as soluble in water. Whilst Sacha Inchi, might make a good addition to a Vegan Protein Blend, one consideration is that due to relatively scarce supply (relative to Rice and Pea Protein powder), it is some 2-3 x the cost per kg.
Combining the above three vegan protein sources to a total percentage of 60% enables the blend to deliver over 10gm of highly digestible protein with each 20gm serving.
10% Organic Cacao Powder – Delivers raw chocolate flavor along with an abundance of antioxidants, magnesium, iron, omega-6 fatty acids, through to beneficial alkaloids such as theobromine and significant quantities of tryptophan, a powerful mood enhancing nutrient.
10% Organic Maca Powder – powerful strength and stamina enhancer, as well being renowned for it adaptogenic, qualities – meaning it has the ability to balance and stabilize the glandular-hormonal system, nervous system, cardiovascular system, and musculature. Maca has a slightly malted flavor, with butterscotch overtones that works well with raw cacao. We are confident to say that we source the best quality / best tasting Maca root powder available in the Australian market.
10% Organic Mesquite Powder – has traditionally been used as a flour or low GI sweetener. It brings a creamy caramel texture, making it an ideal addition to a smoothie blend. Due to it’s extremely low GI level (25), it provides slow release energy, which in combination with this blend’s high protein content, means that it keeps your energy level going for longer after consuming.
5-10% Organic Acai Berry or Maqui Powder – These Amazon berries aside from their potent antioxidant properties, brings a wonderful berry taste and sweetness.
5-10% Organic Kale Powder – has a particularly high protein content for a leafy green (18%), which added to it’s high iron content has earned it’s other nickname, “vegetarian’s beef”. Perhaps the most popular superfood on the market these days.
2-3% Organic Spirulina Powder – is arguably the most nutrient-dense food on the planet and is certainly one of the best protein foods you can find, with it containing gram for gram some 65-70% pure, highly digestible protein.
2% Organic Matcha Powder – Like Kale, Matcha is very much in vogue. – adds another “green” into the mix, adding to it’s complete nutrition.
2-3% Digestive Enzyme Powder – we use a ginger-based enzyme rich powder which assists with breaking down dense nutrients such as protein, thereby increasing bio-availability of nutrients.
2% Monk Fruit Powder – similar to stevia in that it is some 150 x sweeter than sugar, without the empty calories. Unlike stevia though, monk fruit powder does not have a bitter after taste. What also makes Monk Fruit Powder appealing is that it has extraordinary antioxidant properties.
Alternatively we have Organic Stevia Leaf powder, or Organic Xylitol Powder.
~2-3% Optional Flavoring Extract – i.e Creamy / French Vanilla, Cookies & Cream, Cinnamon, Banana, Salted Caramel, Mixed Berry etc.
For more details please refer to our How it Works page.